Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Playin Ren tunes & Other Creations

   I've been noodling a lot with mandolin since my music reading skills are improving,(well mandolin/fiddle as they read the same) and decided to start checking out some of the books I have in the store-Online descriptions only tell me so much,and seeing as I've always loved Ren & Medieval music,I ordered a copy of the book you see above for a review.
   In short,I've fallen in love with the book! It's spiral bound for one,so it lays flat on it's own-perfect for my ottoman/music stand when I'm playing mando in my rocking chair. The music is printed in a decent easy to read size,and the tunes are simple and magnificent. Each one has that "Ren Sound"! I'm addicted to the book. Once I have the basic melody memorized,I can easy add a 5th,an octave,a chord to fancy it up if I wish. Chords are given if anyone wants to merely supply rhythm. A lot of the tunes are short.there are long ones,but I like the selection of little tunes as it's easier to memorize. Hardest thing is picking a tune to start memorizing-they all have sounded good so far! You can find it in my store at Mandolin Babe's Pickin' Parlour
    If that wasn't enough,I've come across a good supplier of violin tailpieces that I can embellish. I did this one with an onyx cabochon & beads. It really turned out well.and I'll be working on more-including viola tailpieces. Bothers me terribly that hardly anything is done to customize fiddles as they sound so pretty. Everyone loves a distinctive looking instrument,and it doesn't have to be an expensive thing to accomplish. Plus it gives me a chance to start using up items I've had for longer than I care to say. Hit the link above and you'll see this beauty is up for bid. Yes,I'm still simplifying my life by getting rid of extras,tho some of these items are being a little stubborn in leaving. (ie no bids yet!)
   Do stop in the store if you haven't visited lately............

No comments: